The Internet is full of speculation about the mythical “true” Video iPod. It has been for the last year, but recently those rumors have been getting a bit more credibility from major news sites, and things are pointing toward the widescreen/wireless Video iPod coming out sooner rather than later…
…but could we really see a widescreen/wireless Video iPod as early as next week?
It’s possible. Here’s why.
- Engadget reported earlier this month that they had confirmation from multiple, separate, and trusted sources that Apple was finished with the long awaited widescreen/wireless Video iPod. Engadget also stated that the device would be announced in the very near future.
- Oct. 23rd marks the 5th anniversary of the iPod. Could there be a better time to announce this next generation of iPod?
- The Newsweek article posted this weekend that is specifically about the iPod and it’s 5th anniversary. It is also suspiciously void of ANY conversation about a video iPod, or even (more than a passing remark) about iPod’s video playing capabilities – even though the main graphic on the site showcases the new iTunes movies.
- Microsoft’s “iPod Killing” Zune launches on Nov. 14th. Launching a new iPod with wireless capabilities so close to Zune’s arrival will absolutely take the wind from Microsoft’s sails. Microsoft’s main selling points for their bulky device is wifi and a large screen (even though it’s the same resolution as a Video iPod – but that’s another article all together). A widescreen and wireless Video iPod, even one that’s more expensive than a Zune (which this device is sure to be) will be another strong nail in the coffin of the Zune.
- There is a hole at the top of the iPod food chain (price wise, at least). Is Apple really going to let the holiday season come and go with no major upping of the ante for the iPod. We seriously doubt it.
If Apple is going to announce a “true” widescreen/wireless Video iPod this year, next week is the time to do it. Only time will tell us for sure (or some deep undercover Apple insider), but if we were betting men, which some of us are, we’d have our money down on a Video iPod going on sale next week.