In this age of social media, taking great pictures on your iPhone is not enough. iPhone cameras today produce high-quality images, but that may not be enough if you aim to achieve a distinct look on your social media.
There are many ways to make sure you’ve created the perfect selfie. Light, angles, and filters are essential, but editing apps are crucial for taking your pictures from just okay to stunning.
That’s why today there are tons of selfie editing apps on the market. Let’s take a look at the top three apps that will help you transform any selfie. These apps offer great features, from improving lighting to correcting skin texture.
Our Picks for the Top Three iPhone Selfie Editing Apps
Facetune is the best selfie editing app because it offers many amazing features while remaining intuitive. Facetune allows you to do professional-level edits on your iPhone. The fantastic features can take your selfies and portraits to the next level.
For simple retouching features, Facetune covers all the bases. The app has tools that allow you to enhance the entire image by improving exposure, removing shadows, and adding filters. It takes that further with pixel-specific tools that can whiten teeth and change the patterns of your clothes. You can even use the built-in text-to-image AI engine to create visual elements from your imagination and add them to your selfies as backgrounds and clothing prints.
The new “preset” edits allow you to experiment with makeup looks, facial contours and lighting adjustments with just a few taps. It’s a favorite for most people because the tool can bring your ideas to photo reality without sacrificing quality.
Pros and cons
- Easy to use: Facetune doesn’t require a learning curve. There are tons of tutorials available, but if you need a basic retouch, you can download the app and get right to it. It is optimized for mobile use with simple sliders to increase and reduce the intensity of filters.
- Makeup tools: The app allows you to apply and change makeup after taking pictures. You can change your skin tone, apply blush, highlighter contour, and lipstick.
- Background Blur: With the tap of a button, you can add depth to your photos and focus on your face by blurring or even changing the background.
- Filters: People who want their social media to maintain a consistent hue will love the filters. You can also create customized filters. Beyond that, you can apply mood filters to change your facial expression.
- Full version requires a paid subscription: The free version offers many unique features, but many of the best features, including live editing, can only be accessed with a monthly subscription.
FaceApp is a fun selfie editor popular for its realistic aging simulations and gender-swapping features. Unlike Facetune, which focuses on retouching pictures, FaceApp is a fun photo-morphing app that makes hilarious, sometimes creepy, face alterations.
The app offers filters that change your face. Two types of smile filters for a subtle smile or wide grin; two age filters to make your face younger or older; and two gender filters that can give you male or female filters.
Pros and cons
- Easy to use: Simply upload the image you want to alter and select the filter you wish to apply.
- Makeup filters: Apply subtle or full glam looks with the range of beauty filters on the app.
- Edit facial hair: Add or remove facial hair and change hair color and style effortlessly.
- Change your facial expression: The app transforms your facial expression using neural networks, a type of AI.
- Free to use: You can access all the features of FaceApp, with ads and a watermark. The paid version offers faster image processing since image processing is server-based.
- Privacy Issues: FaceApp uses server-based image processing, so every image you edit on the app is uploaded to the FaceApp server. Their terms of service show that the company holds rights to all uploaded pictures.
When it comes to photo editing, BeautyPlus is a powerful tool. While it has a stunning selfie camera and portrait editing features, you can edit full pictures too.
The height adjusting tool can help elongate your frame and make you appear taller in photos. The app includes tools that can slim your face and body, smooth out imperfections, remove dark circles and whiten teeth.
Pros and cons
- Free to use: The app is free to download and gets the job done better than most free options.
- Selfie camera: Retouch your pictures in real-time as you take them. The selfie camera blurs out blemishes, whitens teeth with makeup filters, and more for more natural-looking edits.
- Auto retouch: BeautyPlus has an automatic retouching feature that can improve your appearance in a second with the tap of a button.
- Control your background: You can remove people and buildings from the background of your pictures.
- Requires a paid subscription: There are many tools that you can use to edit your pictures for free, but full access requires a monthly or annual subscription.
You can find some of the most incredible photo editing apps in today’s App Store. Plus, they’re free to download, so you can try each one to see which one suits your style. Elevate your selfie game with these editing apps.