For many, the safest and easiest way to sell their old iPhone is to go to the trusted sites which buy electronics for cash. And, boy, those sites are probably enjoying business these days as the release of the new iPhone comes ever nearer.
If you’re planning on getting the new iPhone as soon as you can and want to get rid of your current one so that you can make some savings, you have another option: sell on eBay.
You may not be comfortable doing that initially if you haven’t used eBay before, but it might fetch you more money so why not give it a try anyway?
Here are tips on how to sell your iPhone on eBay.
The most important thing any iPhone owner has to do – even if you’re not selling. Make sure you back your phone up before anything else.
If your phone is already unlocked, then skip this. If your phone is tied to a contract, you can ask your carrier if it’s possible to have it unlocked, which is usually the case when your contract has expired. If your phone is prepaid, in most cases, it can be unlocked within a year.
You do have the option not to do this, but you’ll attract more buyers and can have a higher asking price for an unlocked phone.
You don’t want the next user having access to any of your data, so just as backing up is important, erasing your phone is essential prior to sale.
Take photos of your phone – from different angles, showing it at its best, and not hiding any flaws if it has any. This will give the buyers a better sense of what they are bidding for.
Put the ad up on eBay
If you don’t have an account yet, you obviously need to create one. Once you’re in, do the following.
- Check out how much similar iPhones are being sold for. Look at the model, condition, and other details. This way, you have a fair idea of how much to ask for.
- Provide a detailed description of your phone. Listing an item for sale on eBay is easy as the site will guide you step by step. Make sure you fill out the information asked for. Again, the more details, the more informed the buyers will be, and the higher the chances of them bidding. Pro tip: Make your item title as descriptive as possible. Example: iPhone 5, 16GB, Space Gray, Unlocked.
- Use your PayPal account as payment option. This is the safest and easiest way.
- Offer free shipping. This will serve as incentive for buyers.
- Ship the phone. Once the bidding period is over, you just ship the phone with the sticker label that eBay will send you. IMPORTANT: Do not ship till you get paid. If you don’t receive the payment within a few days, you can still sell the phone to the next highest bidder. For details, read 2nd Chance Offer details on eBay.
Here are more details on preparing your iPhone for sale.