James Colby has created an awesome Mac mod. He had gutted a classic Mac, and replaced its inner working with an LCD display and a Mac Mini. He’s using it for a Jukebox, but this could be your full blown Mac if you really wanted.
He gives instructions in the article on 123macmini about how you can do this yourself:
1. Take one 17-year-old Mac Classic
2. Cut off front of CRT with diamond grinder to preserve full aesthetics of case.
3. Make custom mounts and air rams.
4. Modify front of Classic case to accept DVDs. Add hole for IR receiver.
5. Mount brand new 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac Mini on rear of LCD unit.
6. Customize one ATX power supply.
7. Construct set of custom cables.
8. Add one USB to ATAPI adaptor for DVD drive.
9. Add extension connecters to existing holes in case rear: 2x USB, 1x HDMI, Ethernet, RCA audio
10. Mount power switch behind original side panel reset buttons.
11. Modify software so Mac Mini boots up into Front Row (disable Finder) and you have yourself a Classic Mini Jukebox. Simple!
Sounds easy doesn’t it?
No, no it doesn’t. It’s not something I’ll be trying anytime soon, but it is a pretty sweet mod.