Initially, I had a hard time convincing myself to switch to a Mac, ultimately because of the price. For the price of $2000, I could have bought a better specced non-Apple laptop compared to my late 2007 MacBook Pro. But after 2 years of being a Mac user, I can definitely say that it’s worth the switch.
In line with the Thanksgiving Holiday, here are my reasons why I’m thankful that I made the right decision about switching to a Mac.
1. I don’t have to worry about virus and spyware. I remember when I was still a PC user. I wasted so much time scanning my PC for virus and spyware. Not to mention that most virus scanners and anti-spyware softwares are heavy on the system and ends up bogging down the machine. And sometimes, when you find a virus and you try to ‘heal’ the infected file, it does more damage and you end up with a messed up system registry.
2. No need to be paranoid when the next BSOD will strike. Every time I install a software or run an application, I don’t have to worry about my system crashing. Each time I boot up my MacBook Pro, I don’t have to worry whether it’s going to boot up correctly or not. And I’m very thankful for that.
3. Convenience with iCal. Sure, Microsoft Outlook also has a calendar where you can set meeting and send event invitations, but it’s not as pleasing to look at and it’s definitely not as user-friendly as the Apple iCal. I also love how seamless it is to sync my iCal with my iPod Touch.
4. Apple Care and Apple’s very accessible Tech Support. Probably one of the things I’m most thankful for when it comes to switching to a Mac. Some may disagree but based on my experiences, investing on Apple Care is a must. Also, I don’t have to figure out where to bring my Mac if I need to have it serviced. All I have to do is go to an authorized Apple reseller and I’ll be sure that my machine will be in good hands. Before when I was a Toshiba user, I had absolutely no idea where to bring my laptop when it needed repairs.
5. It’s so easy to find accessories for a Mac. Anywhere you look, there’s an Apple accessory for every Apple product. Unlike with using a non-Apple laptop, let’s say you want a crystal case for it, its either you have to reach the ends of the earth looking for one, or pay for a premium to have someone customize it for you. If my MagSafe charger gets broken, it’s so easy for me to just run to the nearest Apple Store and get a replacement. My friend who uses a Lenovo had to wait for 3 weeks before her charger got replaced. That was 3 weeks of being unable to user her laptop.
What are you thankful for as a Mac user?