Let me start off by saying that I don’t hate my iPhone because it doesn’t have these things. Even without these things, I think the iPhone is probably the best phone or iPod I’ve ever used in my life. I love it so much I bought the wife one – but that doesn’t change the fact that these things, that are available on many of the cheapest phones out there, should have been included in the iPhone 1.1.1 Update.
1. MMS – There is no reason in the world why a phone as advanced as the iPhone should have MMS. The phones that they give away with contracts that have tiny, low rez, cruddy screens have MMS – and the iPhone should too.
2. iChat – Most of the cheap or free phones also have IM clients built in. I know there are several web based alternatives that can be used – my personal choice is BeeJive, but I still think Apple should have a native chat application for the iPhone.
3. Landscape Mail – It’s easier to type with the keyboard in landscape mode for most people. Your email program is probably where you type the most on your iPhone (it is for me, anyway)…so why, then, can’t we view the Mail application in landscape mode? The fact that they made it so that attachments can be viewed that way, but not the application itself is baffling to me.
4. Copy and Paste - It’s a simple request, really. Many other “smartphones” have copy and paste – and I believe Mr. Jobs belittled those phones as being “not so smart” at Macworld. Well, then why can’t my super genius phone do this simple thing?
5. Podcasts – I love podcasts. I’m sure they’re coming in the future – but why weren’t the included in the iTunes Wi-Fi store? I can understand why video didn’t make the cut – due to the low storage capacities of the iPhone and iPod Touch, but audio Podcasts should be available to download.
So, there you have it – agree? Disagree? Sound off in the comments below.