Losing data stored on our computers and phones probably ranks up there in the list of our worst nightmares. It’s sad if you think about it, but there’s no denying it. We’re heavily dependent on our devices which contain information such as phone numbers, addresses, birthdays, photos, and many things we consider “essential” for life.
Data loss due to accidental deletion is not that big of an issue if the files just go to trash, and you haven’t emptied the trash yet. However, when you’ve emptied the trash or your drive gets corrupted, it’s quite understandable if you feel like your world has come crashing down.
Fortunately, technology also provides for these situations, allowing lost data to be recovered.
For your Mac data recovery needs, one of the best options is EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac.
This software enables you to restore deleted files, whatever the type – document, video, audio, email, and so on.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac has three versions – Free, Pro, and With Bootable Media. Pro costs $89.95 and the one with bootable media costs $129.90 (discounted as of this writing). In this article, we’re going to focus on the free version, which meets the needs of the average user.
The software does what it says on the tin: recover files that have been lost. Furthermore, it allows you to save files from various sources – your MacBook, Mac, external drives (HDD or SSD), memory cards, and even iPods.
Aside from the simple “restore files from trash”, the Mac data recovery software offers other options to deal with more serious data loss situations. It can help you retrieve your data in the following cases.
1. Formatted or RAW Mac Recovery
- Format partition or hard drive on Mac, memory card, USB drive, SD card, CF card, etc.
- “Media/Drive is not formatted, would you like to format now?” error prompt
- Unexpected storage formatting due to virus attack or Mac device initialization
2. Mac Partition Recovery
- Restore lost data for partition loss as partitions have been deleted
- Recover lost files when partition is hidden or inaccessible
- Get files back from deleted partition by Mac disk management tool
3. Other Cases
- Mac data loss due to system crash, reinstallation or Mac OS X upgrade, file system or hard drive corruption, etc.
- Sudden power-off, software failure, turning off storage media during writing process, improperly pulling out memory card
- Other conditions like device initialization, memory card ‘Access Denied’ or can’t be read or media card error
The software has two Recovery Modes.
1. Quick Scan
This mode starts automatically when you open the program. It scans your Mac and other connected devices for lost data quickly.
2. Deep Scan
This mode digs deeper into your storage to find formatted, hidden, or inaccessible files.
How does it work?
It’s as simple as running a scan. Using either Recovery Mode, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac will generate scanning results. From these results, you can identify which files you need to restore. You can save the results for every scan you run so that if you are interrupted mid-recovery, you do not have to do an entire scan again.
The interface is intuitive, with a simple learning curve.
Upon launch, the software will ask you what file type(s) you need to recover.
You’ll then be asked for the location of the missing files.
Then you can preview the files that have been found and indicate which ones you want to restore.
Why we like it
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac Free is not on a time-trial basis.
It has everything the Pro version has to offer except for the amount of data you can recover. This includes data recovery from:
- accidental deletions
- accidental disk formatting
- data corruption due to crashes, power loss, or removing a device without unmounting
It supports the OS X native HFS+ file system and is Windows-compatible (FAT/FAT32). exFAT file systems are also supported for use with USB flash drive and external hard drives.
It’s compatible with MacOS Sierra.
One downside to the Free version is that you are limited to 2 GB (amount of data you can recover). This is offered in the Pro and Bootable versions.
You can downloadEaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac Free here.