I love the App Store. I love the App Store so much I don’t know what to do with myself. I’ve been very happy to see that a wide variety of software applications are selling in the store, but one of the most popular is and always will be games.
Games are like the gateway drug into the App Store. You start out with a game or two, next thing you know you’re buying a business app, then a productivity app…then you’re buying a virtual koi pond JUST BECAUSE!!!
With that in mind, I’d like to help you take your first steps into an App Store filled world by suggesting 5 games that I just can’t stop playing. Some are free, others are cheap…all are awesome.
5. Moonlight Mahjong – This is, by far, the best Mahjong game on the iPhone (and there are PLENTY of them). This game is not only a great Mahjong title, with numerous boards to keep play interesting, its also a fantastic demo for just what multi-touch can do.
Moonlight Mahjong shows us the potential that the iPhone has for truly innovative gaming. You can get the free “lite” version here, but if you like it, I encourage you to buy the full version to support his developer.
4. Cannon Challenge – This insanely addictive Non-Line-of-Sight cannon simulator from Discovery Interactive (yep, the same Discovery as the one on your TV with all those Mythbusters running around) is based on an online game they have on their site, but has been adapted to work extremely well with the iPhone using a touch screen interface. The game is completely free, and features some of the best audio in any game I’ve played on the iPhone thus far. You can get it right here.
3. Break Classic – This is your classic “Break” style game with nice 3D graphics, and a very responsive touch paddle. The developer has added levels and improved the graphics at least once (possibly twice) since I downloaded it a week or two ago. You can get the full version here for $1.99, or a 7 level “lite” edition for free.
2. Dizzy Bee – This challenging tilt based game is a great concept that could only be done on a platform like the iPhone. You are playing the part of a cute little bee that must save his fruity friends from very upset looking stones who want to turn them into juice. This game has over 40 levels for only $2.99. The graphics are bright and well done, the sound is wonderful…it’s a game I highly recommend. You can buy the full version here, or try DizzyBeeFree and check out 7 levels of play.
1. MotionX Poker – I love all the games on this list, but Motion X Poker is, hands down, the best game on the iPhone. The game is simple – if you’ve ever played Yahtzee or Poker Dice you already know how to play. You role the dice by shaking the iPhone, and make the best Poker hand you can out of what the dice land on.
With 39 different sets of dice to unlock, 14 achievement Gems to collect, and 5 tables to play (3 of which you have to unlock…the final table requiring $100,000 coins to open), this game has the play value of any desktop game you’ve ever played. At $4.99 its an absolute steal. You can get it here.
No Enigmo on this list? That is my favorite one.
Today, I just downloaded Enigmo. I can’t stop playing it, it is so fun and makes you think. I’m on level 10 right now and I’ve only been playing for about 6 hours. I’m sure it will get very hard soon though.
Big fan of tank challenge, dizzy bee, and break classic. I’m also a mahjong fan so I’ll check that one and MotionX on your recommendation, my top game right now is Scrabble, i just can’t get enough.
Completely agree with the author about MotionX Poker. It’s completely addicting!! I’ve spent more time playing this game than any other game I’ve downloaded (including Enigmo, which is also a pretty cool game!).
Where may I find instruction/rules for playing MotionX Dice and reMovem?