So, as regular readers may know – I like making predictions. I don’t always get them right…I was REAL wrong about WWDC this year…but it’s fun to speculate about what we’ll see in the future. Hell, that’s half the fun of blogging.
Still, none of this is “insider” info or from “a well placed Apple source” or any of that crap….these are just a few things that I expect to see on the iPhone by the end of the year.
6) Custom Ringtones - Seems like a given, right? Honestly, I find it shocking that it doesn’t come with the option to ad your own ringtones to it. I have a feeling that the reason for this is because Apple is planning on adding a ringtones section to iTunes…which is going to hack some people off. I don’t want to pay for a song twice just so I can use it as a ringtone. In fact, I refuse to do that…but there are others that will gladly do it.
I think this will be one of the first things we see added to the iPhone.
5) Games – Again…you would think it would already come with these. Why? Because every other cellphone on the planet does. Now, having said that, the games on those other phones would never work on the iPhone, but you know that games are coming. They have to be. There are just too many cool things you can do with the power of OSX in this phone, and the multi-touch capabilities of the device.
Expect them soon.
4) Web App Icons – It’s going to be hard to get people interested in web based applications on your iPhone if you have to launch Safari, go to Bookmarks, select the URL of the app, then enter your username and password to access the application. Icons that lead directly to the apps, by launching Safari and then navigating directly to the sites will help make them feel more like “real” applications, and will still allow the iPhone to be safe and secure.
3) Flash – It’s not ready yet…that’s why it’s not available at launch, but Apple hasn’t said that they won’t allow it on the iPhone or anything like that…in fact their exact words were that it wouldn’t be available “at launch”, which indicates that it is coming. I won’t be surprised at all if we see in in the next few months.
2) Video Recording - Recording video with the iPhone built in camera is only a software update away, and with the iPhone’s already integrated connection to YouTube, this seems inevitable to me.
1) iChat – This is another feature that most phones already have – an Instant Messenging client. I don’t expect the iPhone to be without one for very long. There are already web based alternatives, but but an Apple built version of iChat for the iPhone should be coming down the pipe soon.
I think the majority of these applications and features are already in development, but we haven’t seen them for one of two reasons.
Either a) they aren’t stable enough to be released yet, or b) they’re being saved to use as examples of free applications that will be offered by Apple for the phone in the future.
Both of these scenarios, make sense. If the apps aren’t ready yet, Apple will have to feel the heat of unstable software backlash…but even if they are ready, if Apple had all of these things out of the gate, what would they have to add in the near future?
What do you think? Are their features or Apps that you think might show up soon that I have missed?